About MSU Convocation with Tara Westover
Tara Westover, whose bestselling memoir about the transformative power of being educated will speak at MSU’s 2019 Convocation on Aug. 22 in Brick Breeden Fieldhouse.
Westover is a historian and writer known for her courageous personal journey that is detailed in her memoir “Educated”. Westover was born to survivalist parents who opposed public education and grew up near Buck’s Peak in southeastern Idaho. She was not allowed to attend school, have a birth certificate or see a doctor. Yet she taught herself enough mathematics, grammar and science to take the ACT and was admitted to Brigham Young University when she was 16. She graduated magna cum laude from BYU in 2008 and won the Gates Cambridge Scholarship. She earned a doctorate in history from Trinity College, Cambridge, and has been a visiting fellow at Harvard University.
“Educated” has been at the top of many bestseller lists for more than a year including The New York Times’ list, where it has been on or near the top of the nonfiction bestseller list for 60 weeks. “Educated” has also won many book awards, including being a finalist for the 2019 Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence.
In preparation for Montana State University's 2019 convocation, students will read “Educated”
The Master Class with Tara Westover will allow students the opportunity to interact with this incredible speaker and author in a more personalized, smaller group setting.
Application to Participate in the Master Class with Tara Westover, August 22, 2019 4-5 PM, Procrastinator Theater SUB, Deadline to apply: Sunday August 11, 2019 10 PM MST”
The Master Class application is open to all MSU students, including students in Gallatin College and the Graduate School.
- Important Information
There is a 4 ticket limit per person.
- On Sale Monday, June 10th - 10:00AM
- Parking and Security Information
- Doors open at 6:30PM
- There is a parking fee to park on campus before 6:00pm. Passport parking app to pay for your parking when you arrive. Download the Passport Pay-By-App onto your phone from your app store or visit ppprk.com. Visitors who prefer to pay with cash or check may purchase parking at Parking Services.
- Bags larger than small clutch purses 4.5" by 6.5" will not be allowed into the Fieldhouse. Carry only those items necessary for your enjoyment of the show.
- Metal detectors will be used at the entrance doors. Please leave cell phones and keys in your pocket when going through the metal detectors.
- Full house with seating in the 200 level for general public
- Fieldhouse Box Office
- Ask Us Desk
- By Phone
|Seating and Pricing|
|Section||Freshmen||VIPs, University Groups, Faculty/Staff||General Public|
|(*Plus applicable fees.)|
|(4 Ticket Limit per Person.)|